Week of May 16, 2004
XLink Kai: Evolution VII
>> Due some issues the release was delayed for a few hours! But here it is now!
XLink(info) Kai: Evolution VII lets you connect with other console users around the world, and play online games for free. XLink Kai: Evo VII tricks your console into thinking that the other users it is connecting to over the Internet, are actually part of a Local Area Network. This is the basis of system-link gaming, where friends would gather around in the same house and play over 2 or more consoles. With XLink Kai: Evo VII, you now have the option to test your skills out with anybody in the world. As for the technical aspects of tunnelling network packets, we won't bore you with that...
Apologies for the earlier nonsense - everything is resolved thanks to some quick thinking from TeXlink and some hard work from the other guys. Win32 downloads are now enabled.
Before you get stuck in, please take note of the following:
* Kai is very new - we will more than likely experience load issues / other *crazy* things over the next 48 hours. Just bear with us, and know that the latest will always be posted here.
* Currently, private arenas and SpeeX in Arena are both disabled - they will magically appear shortly, through the infinite wonder of autoupdate.
* Dont worry when the first time you run Kai, it downloads lots of things - it's just how the filesystem works.
Finally, a massive thankyou to every last person who has been involved in this project - it's been an absolute joy to work with you guys, and it's only gonna get better from now on....
Peace - XLCrew
Note: To fully open the application (with chat windows and all) press the small arrow-button on the middle right side.
Official Site: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk
Sign-up for an XTag (free): http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=register
XLink Kai FAQ: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=faq
Xecuter3 news and updated featurelist
>> From teamxecuter.com:
We are happy to present a revised feature list of X3 - the most feature packed BIOS and mod hardware ever designed for the Xbox.
As you can see we have now added full I/O support for LCD as well as expanding the i2c bus to support LCD modules that require only 4 wires - we will also do some kind of bundle deal where the LCD would cost only an extra $10 to $20.
The mod is designed to give you a hassle free install (we provide everything you require - no need to solder extra wires for extra functions such as LCD support or any switches you may want to use)
Not only is X3 powerful - it’s also a lot of fun to use. Those who like toying with their bios will love X3 Config Live.
The first round of beta versions were shipped today to our core developers. Once we have finalized any changes X3 will ship to our public beta list which we have carefully selected over the last couple of weeks.
There is so much more we are going to add to the bios in future - as we have always done for you in the past, not to mention the expansive windows based software that is also being developed to make your mod experience even better. Currently we are finishing the addition of v1.6 support to our BIOS which would of course be of some use to those who want to play games / run unsigned code.
We have worked so hard on the quality of X3 in the last few months - we sincerely hope that you enjoy our efforts.
* 2MB Flash Rom With 15 Bios Storage Options
* Dedicated 256K Backup Rom with a new Linux based bios (Can be upgraded to any bios you wish)
* i2c Bus for X3 Config LIVE!
* New Enhanced SPI / i2c Interface for Full LCD support
* New Enhanced I/O Bus for Full LCD support (and other future hardware addons)
* All LCD modules to be custom made with adapters so no soldering required (also currently testing with a new 320x200 Matrix LCD)
* Flash Protection Control
* Mod Disable - Quick Press of Power or Eject (External LED will indicate RED LED)
* Hold Power+Eject >1 second to boot from 256k Backup Rom (External LED will indicate YELLOW LED)
* Hold Power >1 second to boot from 2Mb Flash Rom (External LED will indicate GREEN LED)
* HDD Activity LED
* LAN Activity LED
* LPC/D0 Alignment LED
* D0/A15 Control
* Wire Install Option + Included Wire adapter
* Pin Header Install Option
* No-Solder Pogo Pin Install Option will be available
* New LPT based external programming interface (CPLD controlled)
* Compatible with all current bios's
* Supplied with all adapters & wires
X3 Config LIVE!
All X3 Config Live! features are displayed on screen
* All works direct from new X3 on any new install.
* Select which bios bank to boot from on-the-fly
* Switch to either retail bios mode or FULL debug bios mode
* Display / Edit bios names from each bank
* Full DHCP & Static IP Support
* Built-in FTP Server with Boost Mode
* Built-in Webserver
* Flash BIOS via HTTP
* Flash BIOS via FTP
* New FTP Based Bios Storage System
* Control all BIOS / Mod functions and settings from HTTP
* Enhanced BIOS flash speed (256k - 2 Seconds, 1MB 10 Seconds)
* Built-in Onscreen Keyboard
* Customize all features of the bios on-the-fly
* LBA48 Live Control (Select Partition 6 or 6+7 or stock hard drive)
* IGR Live Control (Enable or Disable)
* Quick Launch Feature (select different features to be executed with gamepad combos)
* Customize startup animation colors on-the-fly (With Active Color Picker System)
* Customize startup flubber colors on-the-fly (With Active Color Picker System)
* Change Camera Angles of the startup animation (select between 15 options or choose random)
* User selectable startup logo
* Skinnable interface
* Password your XBOX for extra security
* Change your power LED color on the fly
* Set your Internal Fan Speed on-the-fly
* Enable or Disable Reset on eject hack
* Enable or Disable the Xbox Live Connect Hack
* Boot to original MS Dash
* Boot to original MS Bios
* Load Bios from HDD C, D, E, F and Flash
* Load Bios from DVD-ROM and Flash
* Format & Partition HDD
* Lock / Unlock HDD
* Set / Display Video Mode
* Progressive Scan Control (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)
* Set widescreen / letterbox
* New Audio Options (User selectable background music)
* Set / Display Game Region
* Set / Display DVD Region
* Display HDD Password
* Display All Xbox Live Configuration
* Display All Network Configuration
* Display all Eeprom public and encrypted data
* Save XBOX EEPROM to X3
* Restore XBOX EEPROM from X3
* Auto Save EEPROM to X3 on first install
* Save Settings to EEPROM
* Set default dashboard
* Setup custom dashboard selection (5 Options)
* Set drive to boot dash from (C E or F)
* Auto Fix of corrupt date / time
* X3 Software Intergration to other dashboards
* Brand new X3 Bios Manager for the PC - MANY new features including full BIOS configuration via built in webserver
ccXgui 1.2 news
>> From [XC]D-Ice on http://dott.lir.dk/ccxgui/ about ccXgui(info) v1.2:
As you might have noticed, the manual server IP function don't work. The reason for this, is that the code in the server itself (ccXstream) which i'm not coding, has been removed.
As it looks like now, I don't got the time or motivation to do anything about it. I am still working my a*s off so I can afford a XBCase with LCD (my original case is f*cked...don't ask why...he he) and also a death in my family has "blocked" for development atm. I am also trying to get money for a 19" rack-server, so I can make my room look a bit more "clean" (towers everywhere..he he)
Therefore you have to be patient, and let's hope development will continue soon... I would hate to see my HUGE work dissapear :(
Xbox Best of E3 2004 Awards
>> IGN just released their Xbox "E3 Awards". Here are the awards for this year:
* Best Action Game: Prince of Persia 2
* Best Adventure Game: Silent Hill 4: The Room
* Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat: Deception
* Best Xbox Live Game: Halo 2
* Best Racing Game: Burnout 3
* Best Roleplaying Game: Jade Empire
* Best Shooter: Halo 2
* Best Sports Game: NCAA Football 2005
* Best Graphics: Conker: Live and Reloaded
* Best Non-Playable Presentation: Dead or Alive Ultimate
* Most Innovative Design: Full Spectrum Warrior
* Technological Excellence: Conker: Live and Reloaded
* Biggest Surprise: EA on Xbox Live
* Xbox Game of the Show: Halo 2
Go read the full article on xbox.ign.com (no IGN insider subscription req.)
libSDLx V1.2 - Xbox Release V0.10
>> Lantus released a new version of libSDLx(info). What's new/fixed:
* Released DirectSound before cleaning up soundbuffer.
* Fixed crash when calling SDL_SYS_CDStatus()
* Fixed another controller bug (Thanks Alden)
* Removed remounting of CD image each time SDL_SYS_CDGetTOC() is called.
* Optimized CDDA streaming to use less CPU.
Official Site: http://www.lantus-x.com/SDLx/
Download: n/a (built with XDK)
OzXodus releases Xenium OS v2.0 news and features
>> From ozxodus.com:
Xbox goes RTOS in Xenium OS(info) 2.0
We've promised you it was coming. We promised you it would be groundbreaking. We told you it would be 'soon'.... and it's taken longer then even WE expected. We've promised you there was good reason. Now, it's time for us to lay it all on the line.
It is coming... In fact, it is nearly here. Within 2 days, the first round of betas will make their way out of the innermost circle of OzXodus, and into the hands of our friends and supporters.
It is groundbreaking... In fact, it could change the face of the scene forever. We've told you this before.... now let us take a moment to explain what we have done.
Several months ago, the entire OzXodus team sat down together to discuss the future development of XOS. We decided we had 2 options. We could either stay with a Cromwell(info) based "os" or completely re-implement XOS, from the ground up, as an entirely new operating system. We weighed both options very carefully before making our decision.
Cromwell was a great advancement in Xbox development. It's innovators and core supporters (Andy, Milosch, Ed, Oliver, DMP, etc..) brought the first legal firmware replacement, and it will have it's place in both Xbox and open-source history. However, Cromwell, as a basis for an operating system, is severely limited. It was never meant to be anything more then a firmware, and Linux loader. Designing and programming around that fact has proved a difficult and slow process. So, instead of continuing to work in a restricted and inappropriate environment, we instead opted to rewrite XOS, from the ground up, Cromwell free.
As a true, independent, microkernel operating system, XOS2 provides a complete basis for potentially ANY utility, tool, application, or service to be written to run directly on XOS. It provides an extensive set of low level and mid level functionality to any higher level applications and services. It has a full driver subsystem, to support current and future hardware. (Thankfully, this made v1.6 support rather easy!) It has a full graphics API, including UI primitives, a feature rich text rendering engine, a loader for various image formats (jpeg, gif, png, bitmap, etc) and preliminary GPU hardware acceleration. There is a complete Berkeley sockets TCP/IP implementation, including support for BOOTP, RARP, ARP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, and DNS protocols, allowing extensive network applications and services to be created. We've implemented a complete embedded scripting engine based on Lua 5.0 from TecGraf. The list of CORE functionality goes on and on.....
What does this mean for you, the end user? It means that, now, the potential of XOS is LIMITLESS.
Here is a list of just some of the things we've been able to do under our new environment, already, which you will see in the beta:
* Greatly improved user interface, combining crisp graphics with intuitive navigation, utilizing menus, popups, file selectors, alert/information/question dialogs, and task-specific dialogs such as an IP keypad and straightforward onscreen keyboard
* Brand new video drivers, providing a much cleaner, clearer picture
* Built-in FTP server, without relying on launching a second app or OS
* Full client/server SMB (Windows Networking) support, integrated directly with the file system drivers, allowing you to copy files Xbox->pc and pc->Xbox, from either XOS or your PC
* A preliminary telnet server (very much a work in progress, but something we hope will become a valuable tool in the future)
* Full DHCP support, with static IP fallback
* A new "Virtual Bank" system, eliminating the need for selecting bank modes, and greatly simplifying the flashing process
* A straightforward HDD upgrade wizard
* A detailed exception handler, which will generate an error report file to help us diagnose problems and fix bugs more rapidly
* Full no-copy, asynchronous (read: FAST) USB device support, including support for USB keyboard and mouse (UI integration still in progress)
* USB "Pen drive" support, allowing you to flash a bios and copy files from a USB memory stick or other mass storage device
* Improved HDD support, covering a wider range of drives and setups, including LBA48 and multiple hard drives
* UDMA support (disabled for beta) for maximum HDD performance
* File system cache for efficient file operations
* Raw I/O support for HDD operations (potential for utilities such as defrag, scandisk, etc)
* Vastly improved flashing speeds. (Erase, Flash, and Verify 256k in 6 seconds, 1 meg in 25.5 seconds!)
* Fully preemptive, multitasking kernel, supporting threading, semaphores, mailboxes, message passing, critical sections, etc.... with a task switch overhead of under 0.2 microseconds... allowing all services and applications to run concurrently and efficiently, without stability concerns
* DLL support to load add-ins and additional future functionality from HDD or flash
* Flash Unconstrained Core Kernel Initialization Technology, allowing you to load bioses directly from HDD, without flashing them to a bank
And some things which will not be in the beta, but which are being developed currently, and will be in an XOS-dev (unstable/testing) release shortly after:
* Full Web server for flashing and remote operation
* UI Skinning/Scripting (This actually exists in the beta, and is how we do all our UI, but the API will not be exposed at first)
A couple of things that are "on the drawing board." Initial testing and proof-of-concept implementations have been done:
* Dash-In-Flash, allowing you to use XOS as your dashboard
* Bios Cooking... live bios configuration and extension, done in a way completely unlike anything that's been done or demonstrated before!
* Live update
Finally, we will be developing a series of applications and utilities to run on xos2. One of the most amazing things about XOS2 is that it opens the door to a whole new world of development and distribution methods for legal applications and utilities. For our first application, we're considering a port of a popular emulator..... More on that to come.
I'd like to apologize for the fact that "soon" has become such a long time. That time has passed very quickly for us, as we've been buried under this heap of code for awhile. For you, it must've seemed like an eternity. My only hope is that now you can perhaps see why this amazing feat has taken so long. Now, within the next few days, you'll be able to appreciate the results of all of the time and effort we've put into this, and why we believe it is the best work any of us have ever done.
Stay tuned for some more exciting news, and an extensive video showing some of our favorite features in action, which should be ready in the coming hours.
We will be contacting our initial beta testers individually, starting within the next 24-48 hours, increasing the number of beta testers as results come in, and going to a public beta, and then release, over next week. Please bear with us, as a beta test and release of something this massive is a stressful and time-consuming process.
--Artifex, and the rest of the OzXodus team
P.S. Just a friendly reminder that users with clone chips should use XOS2 only at their own risk. We will not support any "problems" with xos2 running on non-authentic Xeniums.
(AUS) Celebrity-designed Xbox auctioned for charity
>> From games.bigpond.com/xbox.com.au:
If you think fashion designer Peter Morrissey and tennis ace Lleyton Hewitt constitute an ‘Odd Couple’, then think again.
Along with a host of other high profile Australian celebrities, the duo have combined forces with Xbox to raise funds for Barnardos Australia, as part of the second year birthday celebrations for Xbox.
Celebrities including: Guy Sebastian; Sophie Monk; Shannon Noll; Kate Fischer; Annalise Braakensiek; Joel Edgerton; Mark Skaife; Michael Klim; Kyle and Jackie O, and Mario Fenech have each custom-designed and decorated an individual Xbox.
Each celebrity-designed Xbox will subsequently be auctioned off to the public on eBay.com.au as of the 1st of June, 2004, with all proceeds raised being donated to local charity, Barnardos Australia.
More on xbox.com.au and games.bigpond.com and eBay.com.au.
Thanks to Hendot for the links.
XboxMediaCenter (XBMC) 2004-05-21 build
>> There's a new CVS compile of XboxMediaCenter(info) about each day now. It would be a bit too much to post each day about it ... so I'll try to give an overview 1x/week.
What's new/fixed (since CVS build on 05-14):
* added: album info: manual album lookup
* added: support for flipping hebrew subtitles
* added: more logging for samba + removed some bugs from bugs.txt that did not exist anymore
* added: some optimizations for text rendering in our GUI
* added: rss feeds now handle special html characters
* added: my music, video, files, pictures: sort by share type in virtual directory
* fixed: Subtitle texture scaling was not filtering correctly.
* fixed: album info can now be refreshed when 1. time downloaded
* fixed: spin control: can't focus the left or right control, if first page or last page is shown
* fixed: album info: album image was not parsed, if no review is available
* fixed: sometimes large icons remembered but normal icons shown
* fixed: Support Rockridge extensions without Joliet (DVD/CD) (sf patch #957049 by nikon70)
* fixed: Streaming Video Audio stutters
* fixed: Low framerate when playing video with multichannel audio (non ac3) -> digital out
* fixed: Large opendml AVIs now play (no seeking)
* fixed: DTS AVIs now play with sound (if you have DTS output support)
* fixed: DVD subtitles weren't displaying and wasn't possible to switch.
* fixed: unable to play a .pls file with items like http://188.8.131.52/music/file-1.mp3
* fixed: shoutcast name resolving and some shoutcast crashes
* fixed: enlarge subtitles
* fixed: after the CURL change samba leaves a lot of open session on the server
* fixed: scroll suffix in skin files was ignored for thumbnail panels
* fixed: make sure file exists before trying to cache it when looking for folder.jpg files.
* fixed: samba didn't connect with domain information to server. allways disregarded it.
* fixed: samba didn't stat with utf8 formatting.
* fixed: If your nameserver is not working properly, default to using IP address for known hosts (weather, imdb, allmusic).
* fixed: streaming from internet when multichannel (passtrough) output is selected.
* fixed: Q:\albums directory had to exist for the databases to create even though your specified a different location in XboxMediaCenter.xml.
* fixed: play a video, stop. go into settings -> my video: big white area covering most of the screen
* fixed: vobsubs crash xbmc
* fixed: Weather and IMDB now work when a transparent proxy is involved (like squid). Weather still does not use proxy settings though.
* fixed: rss feeds now scroll at the same speed
* fixed: my music: MS Sondtrack share had the remote icon, changed to harddisk icon
* fixed: IMDB thumbnails will now download properly.
* changed: subtitles now default to be off.
* changed: Select dialog, Hidding button on the left when not used
* changed: album info: shows albumname too, when inexact matches are found
* changed: album info: refresh button requeries allmusic.com
* changed: fileprotocol changed to take a CURL as parameter instead of separated values.
* changed: music osd is shown again on track change and remembers it's last state (shown/not shown) when entering the vis again
Official Site: http://www.xboxmediacenter.com / http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc
Download binaries: n/a (built with XDK)
News-Source: xbins.org XBMC server
SmartXX-OS build 3315 - Final Beta v1.6 support
>> Team SmartXX released a new version of their SmartXX-OS(info) with added Xbox v1.6 support. Support for older Xboxes stays ... so it's compatible (with video-output) for Xbox v1.0-v1.6. From readme/nfo:
Beta Log for 3315
- Same things as 3313
Fixes (compared to 3313 BETA OS):
- EEprom Section fixed, works now flawlessly
- PAL / NTSC works
- Video modes now support all modes
- Fan Confusion Fixed
Official Site/Download: http://www.smartxx.com
XLink Kai: Evolution VII registrations open
>> From TheDaddy on teamxlink.co.uk:
You've arrived at the new homepage of XLink(info)'s Kai Project. Kai is a flexible piece of (100% free) software, based on portable code, which allows you to play your Xbox, Gamecube and Playstation 2 LAN compatible games online.
Based on the tremendously sucessful XLink Messenger concept, Kai is a ground up rewrite of the best gaming tunnel ever created - bringing you awesome new features such as integrated Speex.org codec based group chatting, multi-console support, seperated engine/UI logic, high performance distributed Orbital server technology, 'deep' network support, an open UI API specification, dynamic component updates, a super-clean, super-styling UI, and so, so much more. Ignore what anyone else tells you to use - if you aren't using Kai, you're not even in the game.
This site has been opened 2 days early to allow users to get registered with Kai and find their way around the new site and forum structure - so get yourself signed up, and take a look around - the client itself will debut here on Saturday 22nd May, at midnight BST. Make sure you're here for that.
Check their new website and sign-up your Xtag now on teamxlink.co.uk.
Download of Kai: Evolution VII will come in 2days.
Ebay Fun: Xbox Box for 115GBP
>> From theinquirer.net:
Further evidence proving gamers to be nutjobs can be found at the e-home of the internet crazies, e-bay, where some loony is selling a limited crystal edition X-box box. Yes, just the box. For 115gbp (~200usd, ~170eur).
Right, it may well be rare (ish) and pretty-looking, but who in their right mind would pay £115 for a BOX. The answer is someone like echo910, who in the seller's feedback section complains about having just paid over 100 quid for the box. Well, those weren't his exact words. His exact words are "never buy anything from this f**king w**ker £120 for a box". Oh dear.
ProjectDeck needs your help. They need to know what the modded Xbox community wants in a new third party case/shell replacement or add-on. The basic concept is to provide the scene with a viable and affordable case that can house ambitious and creative mods like multiple Hard Drives, DVD Drives, switches, lights and other project mods.. hence the working title.. ProjectDeck.
They already have alot of good working concepts on the drawing board.. now they want your input. Please take a few minutes of your time, and fill in this ProjectDeck Product Survey. Include your XS name and Email if possible, as it will help us limit bogus entries, and it might be used for a raffle if the product is actually viable, produced, and released to the public.
Depending on the responses you provide, multiple versions of the case might be made. There is also a section for a detailed written response if you choose to make one.
Palmore, ProjectDeck Team
Dedicated ProjectDeck Discussions: XS Forums - ProjectDeck Thread
ProjectDeck Survey: ProjectDeck Product Survey
W.I.P. Jump 'n Bump port
>> From Lantus on http://www.lantus-x.com/SDLx/:
Freakdaves Xbox SDL ports site has some tasty new screenshots of Jump 'n BumpX. As well as a new forum for his work on SDLx ports.
Feel free to stop into his site and show your support
Spread News: PermaLink
| Add us on: Twitter
(Wednesday 19 May 2004 22:27 EST) - (Category: (default)) - (Posted by::
MFXStream v1.0 beta3
>> A new version of MFXStream(info) - Media File XStream - has been released.
* fixed: When changing ShowSubFolders in a MountPoint, subfolders was not removed and not added.
* fixed: When adding new files or folders in a shared folder it was presented in lowercase only.
* added: IPAddress selection if the computer has several NIC:s
Official Site: http://mfxstream.sourceforge.net (new website!)
Spread News: PermaLink
| Add us on: Twitter
(Wednesday 19 May 2004 20:28 EST) - (Category: (default)) - (Posted by::
Live 2.0 Dashboard Exploit
>> Using an existing exploit in a new manner...
Read up on how to do it, and the fine details at http://forums.xbox-scene.com
Thanks to devz3ro for his good work.
Note: This is NOT about the Xbox LIVE online gaming service. This is an update for the known dashboard exploits, so you can use them on newer dash versions (LIVE 2.0 dashboards).
Spread News: PermaLink
| Add us on: Twitter
(Wednesday 19 May 2004 15:56 EST) - (Category: (default)) - (Posted by::
MS chief reveals Xbox 2 development secrets
>> From pcpro.co.uk[reg. poss. req.]:
When asked (Allard) if, aside from the XNA demonstrations we've already seen, he had been privy to next-gen demonstrations, he said: 'There's some stuff that's just knocked my socks off.
'The thing we're looking at in the next generation is just an unbelievable amount of raw computing power - the architecture will be much more specialised,' he added.
'Right now you have your audio chip and your graphics chip and your CPU, and you're constantly trying to figure out the balances. In the next generation we're gonna have so much silicon, so much raw computing horsepower - developers are going to be able to use this in interesting and exciting ways.'
He went on to describe some of the demos being created behind the scenes: 'I've seen demos of terrain and worlds, with no textures in them whatsoever and no geometry - it's just a program that's creating a scene for you,' Allard said. Going on to describe the time- and money-saving techniques facilitated by next-generation tools and hardware.
'There's a lot of new techniques,' Allard continued. 'Like what shaders have done for 3D, there are a lot of new next-generation techniques for procedural synthesis that's really going to change how game construction is done, but also what the environment looks like so it feels a lot less "cookie cutter" [i.e. repetitive].' Rather the like the 'Library' level in Halo, we'd imagine, where it was very easy to become disorientated by the repeated environmental features.
Go read the full article on pcpro.co.uk[reg. poss. req.]
Thanks to Shadow_Mx for the news.
Spread News: PermaLink
| Add us on: Twitter
(Wednesday 19 May 2004 10:21 EST) - (Category: (default)) - (Posted by::
SmartXX-OS 3313 (BETA OS) - Xbox v1.6 support
>> Team SmartXX just released a BETA version version their SmartXX-OS(info) with support for the new Xbox v1.6 (Xcalibur videochip).
From nfo/readme (by hamtitampti):
Follow these instructions carefully, we don't guarantee otherwise.
First, update your SmartXX to 3311 on any Xbox. Afterwards, update to 3313 on this box too.
This is a sequential beta, means, on recovery, you come back to 3311.
Note, that Recovery Mode will not show a picture on 1.6 Xbox.
SmartXX will not clear the Config Area, so all settings are converted. Then please reset the config area, as otherwise, you have no eeprom backup.
This beta-version does not update the Recovery Bios, so if you break your OS in any way, you have to boot Recovery Mode on a different box.
Personally, i did not want to give this update public as it not even passed the quality checks.
But as the scene really needs it, i give it free. Known bugs:
* Not all video modes are working (and with false cable even crashing - so use standard composite)
* Do not enter EEProm section (I mean .. work with it!) -- The EEprom format changed, ...
* Fan "confusion" on restarting to other bios
* Due to false CPU inits (yes, there are people who tell the mcpx has not changed, but you can measure the "problem" with a voltage meter)
In your PERSONAL INTEREST: MAX 10 minutes inside smartXX-OS! (then give it 20 min cool down time)
And who knows what i have broken during restructuring ...
SO ONLY UPDATE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY on an 1.6 XBOX ONLY!!
and have a standby != 1.6 box around.
BTW: The picture of the LPC port recovery works. I found out (later) that the 3.3 volt on the display remain intact even if box turned off. I will investigate this issue later on, but i need some sleep.
ONLY try this new OS if you have a v1.6 Xbox and know what you are doing.
More info/download: smartxx.com (SmartXX Forums)
Thanks to Nick S. for the news.
MS Dashboard Updated
>> [QUOTE]Today (5/18/04) we are pushing a small update to the Xbox Dashboard. This update addresses a couple of backend issues (that I can't outline for security reasons.) There are no new features or enhancements that members will see as a result of this update. This is a a VERY small update...so small that many folks won't notice, but I know this group will. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
News-Source: Xbox Dashboard Update (you need to be signed into the XBOX.com forums...)
Thanks to Heinrich for the news.
>> We received this mail from Judasg0at:
High Fiber-(FatX) is a FATX file renamer tool with more functionality than what I've seen in the tools around. Its written in VB6 for Windows, I have Win98, and havent tested on other OS's. Also, right now its fully functional, but I'm still working out a few bugs. Basic features:
* Recursive directory scanning
* Auto scan and list FATX Illegal files
* Option to Auto delete Illegal characters & rename Files
* Error scanning for Duplicate File names (In the same Dir)
* Easily rename files with a textbox interface
If you are familiar with Oscar's File renamer its supposed to be like that. Im gonna add an "auto fix all files" mode for people that are lazy, but I like the idea of being able to do it myself. Also Source is included, for anyone who might be interested, its pretty scrambled though, but still there. If your not interested in the code I will keep developing it as time allows.
Official Site: http://home.comcast.net/~lok420/
OzXodus: Resurrecting a damaged v1.6 motherboard
>> From The_Mad_Maragan on ozxodus.com:
We have seen quite a few posts on message forums from concerned people who have "damaged" their 1.6 xboxes whilst trying to probe their new mobo. As we have first hand experience with this (during the first hour of receiving our new unit :-) ), we have decided to put together this small tutorial as a way to assist anyone who may have had the same misfortune.
Download the V1.6 Resurrection Guide here(pdf).
Interview with Xbox Japan leaders
>> GameSpot posted an interview with XBox's Japan Division Manager, as they discuss how the system has done there. Here's a cut:
* GameSpot: Of course; that's (Ninja Gaiden) going to be a big seller. Talking about sales, have you seen anything on the floor here at E3 that you think might affect your business in Japan in the next year?
* MF: I do think it was interesting to see how big first-person games were: mostly first-person shooters, but there were a variety of games from a first-person point of view. I think that definitely shows Halo's influence, and I've seen those games in Japanese booths and in American booths. I think that if you look at the performance of a game like Medal of Honor in Japan, there's no disputing that Halo has opened the door to that genre. It's still not an enormous genre in the Japanese market, but I think it's a growing genre and the fact of the matter is there's a lot of the Japanese market that is shrinking. So the fact that this genre is growing, and that it's a genre where we're very strong, is a really important thing for us.
Go read the full interview on gamespot.com
US Xbox sales double
>> From http://www.gamesindustry.biz ...
Microsoft's decision to cut the price of the Xbox by $30 in North America at the end of last month caused weekly sales in the USA to double - while Sony is rumoured to be planning to drop the PS2 to $149 with two bundled games in the coming weeks.
The Xbox cut dropped the US price tag to $149 as of March 30th, and the company has confirmed that retailer feedback indicates that sales of the console doubled in the week immediately following the cut.
And here are some figures from teamxbox.com forums ...
April NPD Top 15s
GBA $28,203,318 292,570
NGC $9,465,022 96,050
PS2 $34,597,063 188,669
XBX $45,719,021 297,351
Thanks to shizno for the heads up (send him dew points if you have any!)
New Xecuter3 screenshots
Team DMS also working on Xbox v1.6
>> From dms3.com (X-B.I.T):
We have received our XBX V1.6 consoles. Thanks to Ryan for shipping them so quickly. We're now working on a solution.
xboxdash dvd region free patch disc v1.04
>> modrobert released a new version of the 'xboxdash dvd region free patch disc(info)'.
* support for dashboard 5960 rev 185a6100.
* added 50mb dummy file
Official Site: http://www.eurasia.nu
Download (2.37MB): here (legal - linux based 'patcher')
>> A new version of BBX(info) for you guys to play with..
If you have played Tetrinet you should have a big head start. I assume you know how to play regular Tetris.
This game is Tetris with weapons. For each line you clear, a block with a letter on it will appear in your field.
These lettered blocks are weapons and can be used on your opponents or on yourself (some of them are good).
When you clear a line that has a weapon in it, that weapon will go into your inventory.
Official Site: n/a
Download: n/a (built with XDK)
MFXStream v1.0 Beta 2
>> A new version of MFXStream(info) has been released.
* A lot of code is rewriten.
* No Win32 API in use anymore.
* Service handeling are rewriten for native .NET instead of Win32 API.
* Ftp handeling are rewriten for native .NET instead of Win32 API.
* Share handeling rewriten, loading all shared files on server or service startup. Handles filesystemevents when sharefile is changed and when files are created, renamed and deleted in a shared folder.
Please report bugs on: sourceforge.net
Official Site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mfxstream/
HoRnEyDvL needs help with neXgen skin editor
>> From xboxopensource.com:
HoRnEyDvL needs help with the neXgen(info) Skin Editor he is coding which is being coded in Visual Basic 6. If you think you can help him code the neXgen skin editor please mail him at squish_da_bug[at]hotmail.com Please he needs help...
>> Sorry for the jump of the gun, but...
It appears that this game was ripped out of the shenmue2 disc files. Its very sad to see people trying to get credit for others work, aswell as infringing upon copyrights.
>> Ldots released a new version of xboxhdm(info) 'XboX HD Maker'. What's new/fixed:
* The xboxhd tool now supports the extended F-drive in two ways :
1) When building an xbox HDD from scratch the tool will examine if the drive is larger than 8Gb and offer the option to build the F-drive in the first step of this two-step procedure. In the second stop the user has the option to format the F-partition.
2) A seperate option/menu has been added 4) This will build the F-drive on an existing xbox HDD if the drive is large enough.
* The user now has a 'softmod' command available. This tool requires that the user has downloaded the official softpack from 'the usual places' and extracted this to the xboxhdm/linux directory before making and burning the xboxhdm iso. See the readme from the softpack for more info.
Official Site: n/a, by Ldots
Download xboxhdm (9.1MB): here
Download 'softpack' (3.0MB): n/a (copyrighted content)
Proof that XS T-Shirts Will Get You Hot Chicks...
and more Hots Chicks..
If you want to get hot chicks at computer Gaming Expos like E3 like this guy.. order a sexy and snappy X-Scene T-Shirt. There is no better way to land hot chicks.. and support your favourite Xbox site.
XS X-Scene T-Shirts: Order Now
Thanks to HelloMoto for the news. :)