Back to the news-page
>> Madmab released a new version of Atarixlbox - a Atari 800/5200/130/320/XL/XE Emulator port for Xbox1.
What's new/fixed (Atari core related changes):
* Fixed new pokey sound issues. Using a modified new_pokey engine by foft, author of the GP2x port of atari800.
* Core updated to ver 2.03 with the exception of the pokey engine.
* New NTSC palette code using some routines created by Kr0tki.
* Autoconfiguration for select games. If you do not have a game configured and the emu finds a matching crc in the configs\game directory it will ask you if you wanna use it.
* 5200 Overlay support!! Now you can bring up the corresponding overlay for whatever 5200 title you are playing. Just use the same button used to bring up the onscreen keyboard (currently left trig+x for 5200). Use left analog or digital pad to select a keypad button. Right analog moves the overlay around. Black makes more transparent, white less transparent. The overlay location is saved for each title.
* Support for the 5200 analog stick. It is only read when in 5200 mode.
* Dual Analog support! Yeah Dual Robotron and Space Dungeon baby!! Just check out the configuration screen and enable dual analog.
* Trackball support! Use for games like Missile Command and Centipede(info). Plus a trackball/analog stick sensitivity mode to make certain games more playable. 100 is the default. 70-80 is a decent setting for titles like Missle Command and Super Breakout.
* Replaced generic keyboard with 130xe look alike (only used within game). Keyboard can be moved with right analog stick. Keyboards location and transparency are saved in each games configuration.
* Extra functionality for the virtual keyboard. Cursor can be moved with the analog stick. X button toggles shift key. Y toggles ctrl key. Start presses enter and back backspaces. White/Black change the keyboard transparency.
* Lightgun support. Barnyard Blaster, Bug Hunt, Crossbow, and Special Forces play pretty well.
* New default "Miner 2049'er skin" you can change it to the "old_atarixlbox" if it rakes on your nerves.
* Ability to pick a file from within a zip file. That way multi-disk games can be zipped now. Code stolen from the ViceX emulator. Keep in mind that if you play any game that "saves" to a floppy, that disk has to be a seperate UNZIPPED file.
* New option in the "Game Options" menu to display what files are "loaded" in drives 1 thru 4. Plus I added a rotate disks option. Press the A button when viewing the loaded disks.
* Added rotate_disks option to the controller setup.
* Option in configuration menu to allow swapping of joystick in port 1 and 2. I think like a total of two 8-bit and 1 5200 game use this.
* Rewind and slow down functionality. This was already in the last release by x-port but I just wanted to re-iterate. :P
* Ability to turn on/off player/missile/playfield collisions (for cheating). Try it on games like Pacman or Jumpman. The collision setting is not saved, but the sprite collision detection settings are saved on exit. So all it takes is a simple hop into the options menu to re-activate it.
* Added in to configuration menu "do not allow activating attract mode". Really only useful in demo's. This and above idea borrowed from AwinPlus.
* Paddles 0 & 1 are now mapped to sticks 1 &2, or 3&4 depending on what port you have the mouse set too.
* Added built in disk menu for using with megaimages. When you turn this option on the emulator will read the disk and display all games on it for your selection. It's under the "computer specific options" and it's called "Use built in disk menu". Thanks to HiassofT for letting me use Picodos as the built in disk menu.
* Add in the ability to play SAP music. I used the ASAP code made by Piotr Fusik. Playback speed (for SAP files) can be set to either NTSC or PAL. For those not in the know SAP is like the Atari equivalent of the SID collection for the C64. Check it out at "http://asma.atari.org". The player can also play the following formats, CMC (Chaos Music Composer), CMR (CMC Rzog), DMC (DoublePlay CMC), MPT (Music ProTracker), MPD (MPT DoublePlay), RMT (Raster Music Tracker), TMC, TM8 (Theta Music Composer 1.x), TM2 (Theta Music Composer 2.x).
* modified the cheat code system to read/write values the way an Atari would. That way you can check, for example, the player/missile collision registers to see if a collision happened. Or you could (in theory) disable certain sound channels, etc.
* Added ability to add in cheat codes from a Gameshark compatible database (see description below). This includes the ability to export the cheat codes in a game to "share" with your friends. Cheat/rumble codes are included for most 5200 games. When "adding" codes from the gameshark DB it will move you to the entries with a matching CRC. If not you'll have to manually find the game (sorry, only one CRC per game).
* Fixed artifact mode selection option, it can now be used for games like (drol, lode runner, etc).
* Fixed screenshot saves. The colors are now correct.
* Corrected screen not displaying properly when no filter is selected. (look at the ladders in games like donkey kong and jumpman). Filters still place garbage on the right and bottom of the screen though. Thanks to x-port for advice.
* Record/playback now work correctly. Thanks to x-port for advice. It now also records all keyboard presses and 5200 analog movement as well as Paddles 0 & 1.
* Added a record analog (yes/no) option so you can double the record time for those 5200 games that do not really need the analog stick (galaxian, pitfall, etc). Analog stick will be disabled.
* Changed so player/missile detection still occurs when fast forwarding.
* "autodetect" for media type. In most cases you can exit the options screen and be good to go (see tips on getting a game to run). Unfortunately cart types have to be selected, but I did make it easier (see "oddball cart types" below).
* Turned on code for upload/downloading configurations to website.
* Thanks to Brian Berlin (aka eegt97) 5200 Star Trek and Pitfall can be started now. Brian did the pc 5200 emu kat5200. Be sure to check it out!
* 5200 games like Missile Command, Centipede, Pole Position, Pengo, and Xari Arena are playable. Super Breakout is a little more playable.
* Thanks to Kr0tki Bounty Bob is now playable. There are only two working versions of Bounty Bob that I know of. The correct 5200 dump and the cassette version released in the UK. I highly suggest the 5200 version, UK version is a little slower. Set the UK version to PAL for it to work properly.
* Netplay should now work properly and it passes keypresses as well. No analog yet though.
* For Interface related changes and Internal changes, check the full changelog
Official Site: http://xport.xbox-scene.com (version by Madmab)
Download: n/a (built with XDK)
Full Nfo/Readme: xbins.org
Discuss this news item on our forums: forums.xbox-scene.com
Back to the news-page